Sunday, December 21, 2008

Majesty

That which stirs in us a profound sense of humility.

Today I saw something truly majestic. I’m not easily moved to such descriptions, never having seen a human-made structure that evoked the word. I’d apply it more often to a noble action or an incredible human feat achieved with grace. But of all possible usages, it’s only the natural world that ever truly moves me to this special kind of awe.

My understanding of majesty is limited to nature because it defies the human mind, having surpassed our own existence on into the billions of years – or is that billions of light years – its simply too huge for me to comprehend. And for that, I’m left with a sense of humility in the presence of majesty.

It’s not easy for 21st century humans to consider their smallness. Especially in the west, especially in America, we are trained to consider our own projection as immortal – to consider ourselves without limitations. If you can dream it you can do it. You can be whatever you want to be when you grow up. Don’t let people tell you what you can’t do. These common messages surrounded me as a young person. And to much positive affect I might add. I am grateful that I’ve been in an environment that has supported the potential of my heart, mind and soul.

But on the flipside swells the ego: that critically important but highly volatile character. The ego, when told it is endless, so often pains at the sight of something so incredibly greater that it can be described as majestic. The endless doesn’t like to become aware of its limitations. Whether that be another person, an event or something great, its hard to welcome that which might make us feel small, humbled or limited.

It’s beginning to hurt me less. For so many years I looked at guitar players and thought I could out do him. Or criticized a book or essay believing I could add the extra that would make it great. I fooled myself by thinking that I had the talent, I just hadn’t yet invested the time. If I wanted to, I could. Afterall, I could do anything that I wanted to do.

However true this is, how far a combination of my natural talents and hard work could take me, today I realized that I’ve been missing the point entirely.

Majesty reminds us of our limits and does so in a way that doesn’t make us feel regret for them but humbly inspires us to use what we have in extraordinary ways.

Limitations are excellent instructors. They are boundaries to be pushed and at times broken. They also teach us discipline that can bring us to a much deeper understanding and realization of freedom. Most importantly, I feel limitations remind us that we exist in a world of relationships in which our variety adds great value to life. It’s far more productive and enjoyable to notice, appreciate and work with someone else’s skill or talent than to use it to stir the ego into an ill-advised tantrum.

Today I’m grateful for who I am and the road I’m on. The limitations that I’ve broken and will break in the future. Those that I respect and will guide me to understand myself better and work with others more cooperatively.

But above all, I’m clear that I want to be in relationship with majesty. To learn in the generous and graceful shadow of the truly inspiring. To work alongside majesty to pursue the extraordinary. And most importantly, to believe in majesty. Because with majesty, somehow, everything is possible.

No comments: