Friday, July 10, 2009

Silence

From Thomas Merton's book "Contemplative Prayer". He quotes the Syrian monk, Isaac of Niniveh:

"Many are avidly seeking but they alone find who remain in continual silence....Every man who delights in a multitude of words, even though he says admirable things, is empty within. If you love truth, be a lover of silence. Silence like the sunlight will in you in God and will deliver you from the phantoms of ignorance. Silence will unite you to God himself...

More than all things love silence: it brings you a fruit that tongue cannot describe. In the beginning we have to force ourselves to be silent. But then there is born something that draws us to silence. May God give you an experience of this "something" that is born of silence. If only you practice this, untold light will dawn on you in consequence...after a while a certain sweetness is born in the heart of this exercise and the body is drawn almost by force to remain in silence."

5 comments:

Neidi Hewhart said...

Hoorah! i'm so glad you're back.

This is a very good lesson. I have a hard time with this one but I know it's necessary. Another great god 'tip' that has been festering in me(sent to me by my mom) is: "Carefully consider the path for your feet, and all your ways will be established" (Proverbs 4:26 HCSB).

Still searching for that true path. i think i should take your advice and be silent (or just shut up already--that might get through to me a little better). x

Breitenberg said...

YES!

i'm so glad too heidi.

i wish you could write the story of my 8 day vow of not speaking bru. everything merton describes falls is true and more. does he talk about the pain at all I wonder...

parker_d said...

sound advice, and an informed offering of insight. i like.

Chris said...

yes...good to see you here. I've been tracking some good stories/thoughts, so I'll get them up here as they come.

Andrew, I back writing about your 8-day truth experiment. Or perhaps I should try it as well and we can write a story thread together.

Unknown said...

Glad your back too, Chris..
this silence thing is very interesting to me - i would love to talk more with you about it....especially considering my last email, where all i talked about is how busy i like to be with people about and stuff to do!