Friday, June 13, 2008

Nice Place

Ulla’s brother and Sister-in-law, Valtz and Zane live on the other side of Riga, from Jurmala, about an hour’s drive. Obsessed with my own siblings, I always enjoy meeting the siblings of my friends. Plus, as Ulla put it, “these are freaky people.” A distinction of the highest esteem in her eyes.

Zane designs books and Valtz recently sold his translation company and both were looking for a way to pursue their passion for art together. The outcome? They started a company called Nice Place. The concept reminds me of “Life Is Good”. The brand is the phrase and they pin it on post cards and t-shirts, etc. I’ve seen their stuff on the Baltic coast and you will soon be able to pick it up in Riga airport. The website’s under development, but you can check out the logo.

I love the phrase “nice place”. It captures that sense of gratitude we ought to have more often. Right now, I’m in a nice place. About 6 months ago Ulla sent me a few samples online to give Valtz and Zane some feedback. I sent some word back in, not really knowing what the whole project was all about. The small effort I made for them went a long way. They welcomed me with open arms and brought me into the family. In fact, they reminded me of my brother and sister, what with all the wild energy and love for each other. Nice people. Nice place.

No comments: