Monday, September 8, 2008

Wild Dogs Redeemed: The World Conspires

There is breaking news with regards to my last entry.

You remember the story of the wild dogs stealing my sneaker. In this tale, I revealed that I had reached the peak of my own ridiculous behavior/decision-making by putting a mothball in my shoe as means of deodorization. Well, I didn’t actually tell the whole story. In fact, I left out an important chunk. But because of the eventual outcome, now I can and will tell it with some degree of pride intact.

The reason the moth ball made sense to me as a potential solution to my problem was because when I arrived to the Jungalow, I opened my closet and crashed backwards with the hectic and unmistakable stink of mothball. The odor, so pungent its still on the tip of my nose, seemed the only smell big enough to crush the wild dog smell. Say what you will, but that was my reasoning.

Now, since the mothball smell was that strong, you can understand why I tossed them out immediately, knowing that otherwise they would stink my whole wardrobe. I tossed them into the small garbage can in our room without a second thought. Well, here comes the more revealing part of my idea to eat the shoe odor with mothballs. As you can now see, in order to actually follow through with my idea, yes, I had to dig through the bin in my room. It actually had a fair amount of trash in it (my roommate had just unloaded his paperwork from previous travel) so I crouched down and began to sift it.

Quickly, I identified the mothball at the bottom. As I yanked it out, I actually took some papers with it and they flopped out onto the ground. Nigel, my Australian roommate, curiously observing my American problem solving in action, exclaimed, “Hold on a minute mate!” In a singular act of redemption, a small hologram had flown out along with the papers and came to rest with them on the floor. He reached down and picked it up, lifting it into the range of the Jungalow’s bare light bulb. “It’s the code! It’s the code for Windows!”

You see, for the past two weeks, Nigel had been laboring over his computer. In a last ditch effort to save it, he reformatted. Unfortunately, the codes he had for the Windows program didn’t match up with the disc he was trying to use for installation. It had been slowing our work and frustrating him beyond belief. Without any knowledge of where it was, he was staring down a bill to buy a new license and a trip down to Pune, 3 hours away and the nearest city for that kind of software. Now it seemed to drop right out of the sky. Later that night, he came back to me and said that the codes worked flawlessly and his computer was back in action.

It was an extraordinary and absurd turn of events – the kind of completely unlikely chain reaction that actually happens in life and helps me to believe in the unbelievable.

4 comments:

Russian friend said...

Gosh, Chris!
I was actually wondering why did you put one of your shoes outside, and struggling with it smell it from time to time! :) I thought maybe this is some sort of survey you have to do with your shoes while in India, separate them, and put one outside, one inside, smell it to compare? :)
Gosh, I almost went and smell it today... but then I thought it is silly and didn't do it! :) I didn't OK?
My word, you made me laugh so hard! :)

parker_d said...

talk about a fortuitous series of events, man....highly amusing.

Jimmy and Annie said...

Was the shoe thief a monkey or a dog? I thought your last post blamed the monkeys.

Chris said...

Jimmy, I couldn't figure out whether it was monkeys or dogs. In the end, I had suggested both but eventually believed it to be dogs. First, it looked like it was handled by a dog's teeth more than a monkey hand. Second, I know dogs to be shoe-chewers more than I know monkeys to be slobberers of the shoelace.

Inspired by your last thought on running, but I am still airing out my joggers...