Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Overnight

Over dinner my Tibetan friend, Jordhen, said to me, “Today is Judgment Day in America. That makes it Judgment Night for you!”

Sure enough, here we are on the edge of political change in the States – you can’t believe the kind of attention this is grabbing over here. Every day the Times of India posts a photo of one of the candidates and puts a leader above the fold. This takes the reader to about a page of coverage on the election alone. It’s laughably biased coverage. On Sunday, there were 8 articles about the election – 5 positive on Obama, 1 negative; 1 positive on McCain, 1 negative (this excludes two editorials).

But its no real surprise, as I read a recent poll that suggested that 4 in 5 international citizens would vote for Obama over McCain. Whether they consider the repercussions of such a presidency in terms of policy is another story. But what stands fast is that Obama represents a change the world is looking for from the US.

It’s exciting to be an American in India these days. It’s almost as if people I meet are realizing what America can do and be when it’s at its best. It’s not an understatement to say that the last 8 years of policy have left the international community foggy. You might be surprised, but form my interactions I think a lot of people actually like America and believe in America. I can’t imagine what it would do for the US if Obama won this election. People come up to me pleading that I vote and for Obama. It’s a far cry from when I was here three years ago and taking endless heat for the Bush presidency and the 2004 election.

From the businessman to the nun, the teacher to the engineer, Obama has generated unbelievable enthusiasm in India. From my conversations in Pune this past week, I am sure that the US election generates more excitement than the current events of Indian politics. It’s hot and people are taking notice. I’ve heard a number of times from citizens of many countries that the world hasn’t watched a US election like this in years, maybe in history (which might not be a stretch given the availability of information in the digital age).

One way or the other, I’m breathing a sigh of relief that America is looking forward from the past eight years. I believe both candidates are capable and can lead America in positive ways. I think both will be an improvement to their predecessor in terms of quality. Still, I can’t help but feel the possibility and potential of an Obama presidency. It sounds as though there is a huge swell of optimism in the States for the change he could bring. I can only tell you that I think that hope multiplies across the pond where people are drawn to the promise of the lean man from Chicago.

If he wins, the pressure will be full on. I can only pray that he would use the unbelievable good will he’ll receive from the international community to build something new and important for the 21st century. A world vision that’s forward looking in terms of economy and environment, interdependence and real human security.

At press, the election is in the hands of the people. I’m off to bed ready to wake up tomorrow like a kid on Christmas, eager to see what’s under the tree.

2 comments:

uazeen said...

here in Indonesia people are very enthusiast waiting for the result of the election, it's very obvious that if they were able to vote, they must vote for Obama, since they hope for a better relationship between the two countries, particularly because Obama spent his early childhood in one school in Jakarta. Congratulation for the victory of Obama and the victory of American.

Unknown said...

onward with faith and hope!!!