Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Hope

40 people cheered today when I said two words: “Obama won.”

I didn’t shout it. It was more matter-of-fact, but 40 people, of all ages, from over 20 different countries, in India, started to clap and holler the moment I spoke.

It threw me a bit. I knew that people here wanted Obama to win the election, but the look of delight and excitement that spread through the room rushed at me. I glowed.

I heard two really fascinating comments throughout the course of this auspicious day.

The first came from my international crew in Panchgani. The most common thing I heard from them was “congratulations”. Seemed a strange word to hear from those in the community here. Some knew that I supported Obama, but this wasn’t a congratulations given to me because my candidate won the election. This congratulations had a different tone. It was the congratulations you give someone when they are part of something that has gone right. The kind you might give to a family member when the first kid graduates high school. Or maybe that you would give to Godfather at his Godson’s christening. The congratulations of communal goodwill. The congratulations of a step that symbolizes much more than a singular accomplishment, but also the many steps of the many wo supported it and paved the way to make it possible. It’s the congratulations you give when you admire something that resonates deep within, even if you don’t know why. It’s the congratulations of a new day and the hope that comes with it. It’s the congratulations given to the courageous, the changemakers and the group that has moved towards realizing their potential.

The second refrain I heard in different forms from those at home came out like this: “I’m proud of America and I’m proud to be an American.” It’s almost unfathomable to me that I could hear that statement from people in my generation. My parents and grandparents? Sure. But my peeps? Not in a million years…until today. Hearing those words demonstrated to me that something of serious consequence happened today. I’m still stunned at this comment.

I spent the afternoon working and patiently waiting for the acceptance speech to stream (a tall task in Panchgani). Above this massive outpouring of emotion and excitement I heard the voice cut through. There is work to do. Yes we can do it. A leader who asks sacrifices of his people would be a complete revolution in this era of US politics. It’s a trait of citizens in days gone that I’ve always admired. I’m on board and ready to go. In fact, I’ve been ready and working and now the ship has a new course.

Today a dream was fulfilled and I had a healthy dose of hope restored. It’s hard to know what the future holds and what the “change” will look like, but I do know that change is necessary. It’s my earnest prayer that wisdom will prevail in this administration and we will begin to build the country into something exceptional. If that happens…well then there will be even more reason for congratulations.

Something great has been achieved today. And there is a kind of purity in the air. The kind of purity that only exists alongside the promise of a new day. I’m embracing.

7 comments:

Nic said...

And about 8 million people cheered in NYC last night. Masses of people took to the streets, screaming, singing, so full of joy, and like you said, so PROUD!! I hugged many strangers, and gave about a zillion high-fives, and people were just so generally overwhelmed and overflowing with hope, and the promise of a better tomorrow. Again, to see our generation proud of America, and proud to be a part of something great, it was just such an incredible wonderful powerful feeling. Thousands of people took over the streets, there was hardly a car in sight anywhere, just people, or people dancing on the tops of buses and cars. And certainly saw more than a few of these people were naked. Was unreal. Don't know how your youtube connect works out there, but here's a clip from where I was last night, when the crowd started singing "Star Spangled Banner" EPIC. Without question, one of the greatest, most jubilant, most memorable nights in NYC/my life. Yes, we did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFhfQY1cf-s

Nic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nic said...

Lift up your faces, you have a piercing need
For this bright morning dawning for you.

History, despite its wrenching pain,
Cannot be unlived, and if faced
With courage, need not be lived again.

Lift up your eyes upon
The day breaking for you.

Give birth again
To the dream.

Women, children, men,
Take it into the palms of your hands.

Mold it into the shape of your most
Private need. Sculpt it into
The image of your most public self.
Lift up your hearts
Each new hour holds new chances
For new beginnings.

Do not be wedded forever
To fear, yoked eternally
To brutishness.

The horizon leans forward,
Offering you space to place new steps of change.
Here, on the pulse of this fine day
You may have the courage
To look up and out upon me, the
Rock, the River, the Tree, your country.

No less to Midas than the mendicant.

No less to you now than the mastodon then.

Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes, into
Your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning.

from On The Pulse of Morning
by Maya Angelou

parker_d said...

Thousands of us took to the streets in DC, not with a fire in our eyes, but a radiant smile of hope on our faces. The pride and patriotism was overwhelming, and simply, awe-inspiring. I feel again like I'm a part of an amazing country, and I can only say, Chris, that I wish you'd been there last night as we stood in front of the White House cheering "Yes We Can! Yes We Did! Yes We Will!!"

It was a joyous (indeed epic) occasion, and I can only say that it's a story I look forward to telling my grandkids one day.

Chris said...

Amazing...please write more.

uazeen said...

Yes we, Indonesian also happy to hear this news, that finally one of its best students becomes the president of USA he he he

Unknown said...

nicole -loved all your comments - my thought that i have for you is this - that you need to please write your own poem....your prose about what you experienced yourself on election night was wonderful, but i feel a poem in your spirit - come on.....
i watched the video and it was amazing ..looking forword to your poem....