Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Star Spangled Banner

When Dianne Feinstein asked the crowd to rise for the national anthem, I thought little of it, watching on a small screen ten-and-a-half hours away on a remote Indian hillside. Then, without reservation, everyone around me stood up.

*********************************************************************************

I no longer know how to express the power of articulating hope with humility and courage. Or the impact of recognizing the transformative nature of faith. Or the energy of casting a vision for a generous future coupled with a sense of reality. Or the influence of catalyzing the energy of inclusivity, trust and optimism.

It’s a world longing for these ancient treasures of the human spirit. One only need walk into the town of Panchgani to see a child beg at the cuff of a wealthy Mumbaikar. In that moment the world revealed – in all its possibility and need.

The paradigms of unchecked consumption, rampant consumerism and self-interested decision-making are ill-suited for the challenges of these days. My hope is that this new leadership can be one that empowers us to equip ourselves with the knowledge to wield the tools of the 21st century to tackle the immense concerns of a generation.

The new president speaks with the authoritative confidence of a man who is leading in a time of change; when new systems are already driving the way we communicate, work and process. There is no need to fight change. Instead, the time has come to embrace the undercurrent and harness the changing tides. This is a time to claim that as part of a new direction for a country and for a world – and with change on the move, it’s just a matter of nudging these systems in the right direction.

******************************************************************************

As the “Star Spangled Banner” rang out through the tinny speakers, I surveyed the room. I wasn’t standing among Americans gushing in a moment of patriotism. My neighbors were from places as far flung as Ukraine, Kenya, Vietnam and Australia – Uganda and Kashmir, Nagaland and Malaysia – Sudan, Russia, Zambia, Fiji, Canada and the United Kingdom.

What resonated within each was hope, renewed. The possibility that the world could seek out and pursue freedom, hope and justice as lasting and guiding principles. That we could work together to solve the problems of climate change, economic crisis and extremism. That there could be more than Us and Them and more a spirit of We.

That maybe, just maybe, we could realize our dreams together.

3 comments:

parker_d said...

I stood today behind a bar about nine blocks from where the inauguration took place - It was truly a gift to see and feel how still everything became when our new president began to speak. People were listening, utterly still. Hope was present in the room. I stood there looking up at the big flatscreen television, not worrying about my patrons because they had no intention of breaking their attention from the historic moment occurring just then. I looked down the bar at my fellow bartender, also getting choked up...and I looked out at the faces on the other side of the bar - so many glistening eyes. So much hope, man. It's utterly refreshing and moving. People really believe in this country again.

And when the moment ended, the patrons began to flow into the restaurant, and I took to my work with a refreshed (and somewhat weary, I ain't gonna lie) sense of purpose. I serve people alcohol and food; it's not the most glamorous job in the world - but I felt driven in a new way this afternoon. Sure, I was making solid money on a 14hr double-shift from jubilant crowds celebrating with champagne, wine, beer, and hard liquor (not to mention the occasional miniburger and pizza) - but I felt like I was making my own contribution to the festivities. I felt a part of something bigger.

Perhaps I'm a bit on the naive side about my part of what today was for Dc and the rest of the world - I might just be. But in the end, I can only say that I'm thankful for the hard work I put in, the money I earned, and the good will I contributed to the folks I served.

all the same, Chris, I enjoyed your post and felt moved to contribute. Now I must sleep - I work again in the morning.

Chris said...

T-Bone - thanks for the vivid post.I really appreciate it. It's important to remember who we can influence. In the moment, those are the only people. They are the rest of the world. It matters not how big or small, how glamorous or unglamorous. Only what we give.

Unknown said...

I was glued to the TV and what an incredible moment it was for our nation - a great celebration - now the real work begins for ALL of us.

Parker - come visit me - i just want to catch up on your life