Thursday, October 9, 2008

I Have Seen the Light!

I saw my life flash before my eyes today. It was enormous flash, not because my life is long or big, but because this is India and huge things happen here.

At about an hour before tea time this afternoon, I am having a conversation in the lobby of one of the buildings at Asia Plateau. It’s an unremarkable lobby with ceiling to floor windows and a couple of couches. The monsoon stirring outside, I watched over the shoulder of my conversation partner as the rain came down. This monsoon rain isn't sheets or scatters, its hard fat rain. The kind of rain that smacks the ground and splashes. The kind that you can watch as it covers a dry surface in seconds. Rain that you hear before you see.

Thunder worried in the distance. The occasional flicker of lightning crossed the sky. The monsoon, which I thought ended about 2 weeks ago, has continued in its death throes – settling into a strict routine of mid-afternoon blasts that give way to sunset.

Unmoved by the thunderstorm, we discussed work and life, digging out some important issues, when

SMACK!

In a harrowing instant, a blistering flash burst through the window and captured my eyes, leaving me dark. The instantaneous wallop of thunder crashed my ears, sending me shuddering into my seat. Adrenaline raced through my heart. I gasped. Shocked, I could only think that I’ve never felt so close to death before in my life.

A moment later, Adam my Australian friend, walked out of his office with his headphones around his neck, mirroring my look. “I’m sure it buzzed me. I can feel it in my arms.”

We returned to our discussion, but my heart beat speedily for over an hour. When we finished, I walked outside (rain stopped by now) and found several friends examining the tallest tree next to the AP’s main building some 75 feet away from where I sat. The lone, tall evergreen displayed a massive crack mid-trunk. An exposed underbelly showed where the lightening bolt shaved off a sizeable section of bark. We found piece of the tree 30 feet away from the base. A formidable blast.

Just thinking about it sends my body back into a nervous jitter. It has never behaved like this before. A moment for reflection for sure. In the meantime, I’m off. Praying for the storms to finally pass.

Hoping for some peaceful sleep amidst this body jolt
In the land of monsoon rains and freakish lightening bolts

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. Honestly, I am jealous. Since that Tornado ripped through Maryland and right beside me I have had an unhealthy attraction to the whole "near-death" thing. Its a very unique and personally terrifying experience. I can't wait to see how you think of it in weeks, months, years.

Unknown said...

Have heard a sound similar to what you are talking about - and will say - yicks!!

when andrew, linds, dad and i were sitting on the kitchen porch after we thought Hurricane Isabelle was over ...all of a sudden - SMACK - one of the pine trees (near the shed which was about 70' tall) cracked and fell over - woah!

It really puts the "nature" thing in perspective - in a nanosecond

thanks for sharing this moment - you made it feel real



it put's things in perspective in a big hurry