Friday, October 17, 2008

Image of Quiet

In a session this morning, I was asked to find a photo that would help me to define my understanding of morning quiet -- a daily space prayer and reflection.

This is the photo I selected


At Davidson, Dr. Mahony once explained the Hindu concept of God as an ocean – one body of water made of many drops. The Christian faith often refers to God as light. For me, these images collided in college, as I moved to the beach and learned about Atman all the while listening to “No Doy” by moe. and often signing my emails using a quote from “St. Augustine”: God is Light. Light is Good. Yeah, God is Good.

Those images have stayed with me, providing an unending terrain to explore.

This summer I reached a new conclusion about the interplay of light and water. Together they create one of the most beautiful sights in the world. A gold-orange sun blazing down a lazy river. The mid-afternoon light blasting the sea. A lone streetlamp enlightening an Amsterdam canal in the evening. When light touches water, words cannot describe the million infinities therein.

I’ve grown to believe that God exists in the space where light and water mix.

The fisherman in the photo uses his net to catch fish. This one seeks to catch light on water. That light-water shines like the bright spirit of truth. If you look closely and in the right way, it even looks like he has some in his net.

A fishermen doesn’t always catch his inspiration. But, also like fishermen, practice increases the chances of catching a fish. The more one tries, the more likely one is to land a beaut.

The fish (the truth of light on water) itself can be taken as nourishment, shared with others or simply admired for its beauty and then released.

The fisherman inspires me this morning.

Note: After looking at the photo for some time I noticed, at last, that the boy wears a key around his neck. I’m looking to tie the metaphor together with that symbol. I don’t have it yet. Let me know if you do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i saw the key as well - awesome..
as i see it - the key to life is God - the living water that flows through us as we allow it....
i love you honey and love what you are doing and experincing there on the AP with your group.

parker_d said...

Chris, I recall a road trip you and I took to Alex Ely's lake house during our junior year for spring break. We had a discussion re: God and the afterlife while The Talking Heads played over the car's cd player. I remember you said that people give a piece of themselves - an essence of their nature - to every other person they meet, and we are all a collection of influences from the people we know and care about. In this sense, there is an afterlife - a trace of ourselves, living on in somebody else's actions and beliefs.

I think about light and water - the infinite equations in which light and water interplay with one another, and I am reminded of this infinite human interconnectivity you and I spoke about that afternoon in my Nissan Pathfinder as we made our way into the southern foothills of Virginia.

God is truth; a purity which both light and water most definitely exemplify. And when we - as people - are most kind and noble towards one another, we embody a generous and somehow infinite purity which has been given to us by all those we have ever known.


now, if there were only a way to embody it every moment of every day.... :-)

Chris said...

Really nice...thanks you both.

I remember that car ride to Alex's lake house. What a good one. Shadowfax will also live on in our collective memory.

Urging that we find that purity in through our noble actions.